There are six card types in the game:
- Strongholds: These cards do not belong to a deck and instead begin the game in play on top of a province. They have Strength, Starting Honor, Fate, and Influence stats and traits like Castle and City.
- Provinces: These cards do not belong to a deck and instead begin the game in play. They have a Strength stat and an associated Ring.
- Characters: These cards can appear in both the Dynasty deck and the Conflict deck and are used to fight in Conflicts and Duels. They have Fate, Skill, and Glory stats and traits like Shugenja and Courtier.
- Holdings: These cards appear in the Dynasty deck and modify the province they are revealed on. They have a Strength stat and traits like Battlefield or City.
- Events: These cards appear in the Conflict deck and have immediate impacts. They have a Fate cost and traits like Philosophy.
- Attachments: These cards appear in the Conflict deck and can be attached to a character for a long term effect. They have Fate and Skill modifier stats and traits like Jade and Weapon.